Paper source leaflet 5
With regards to the envelopes used for mailing [the leaflets] (see enclosures 1 and 2, postmarked Augsburg): Following inquiries to all the appropriate dealers, it could be concluded with certainty that last year paper wholesalers in Munich sold large quantities of these two formats to retailers (specialty stores in Munich, northern Lower Bavaria, and Swabia).
The envelopes (enclosure 1) made of pink paper, linen finish, 162 x 112 mm [approx. 4” x 6”, C6 size] originated with Otto Heck Paper Wholesalers in Munich, Karl Str. 40. Co-owner of this company, Eberhard Würth (who is also certified as an expert witness in the judicial system regarding paper production) asserted that there is no doubt that these are the envelopes in question. They are recognizable by their quality, size, and cut as products of the Heck Company. He purchased the paper used for the manufacture from the now-defunct paper mill Rauch Brothers in Heilbronn. According to the invoice, paper (remnants) was purchased on October 19, 1942. “Envelope Factory Pasing” manufactured the envelopes from this paper. He sold all but a small quantity of the 77,000 envelopes that were delivered [to Otto Heck Wholesalers from EFP] (see sample, enclosure 3), together with stationery of the same color, to his customers in southern Bavaria. A customer list will be made available. It is noteworthy that – according to Würth – around 10,000 of these envelopes were stolen either while they were stored at the “Envelope Factory Pasing” or en route to the Heck Company. Perpetrators have not been apprehended. The theft was not reported because the “Envelope Factory Pasing” replaced the envelope stock. An inquiry is underway regarding persons involved in transport of these envelopes.
The envelopes (see enclosure 2), made of blue paper, linen finish with privacy printing inside (blue-gray), 162 x 115 mm [approx. 4” x 6”, C6 size], with “carrier-pigeon” as manufacturer’s mark on the inside of the flap, unmistakably originated with the “Begra” Company, a paper corporation located in Munich with address at Erzgiesserei Str. 4. The “carrier-pigeon” is the protected trademark of this company. Between May and December 1942, a total of 820,630 pieces of this type of envelope (see enclosure 4) were procured from the Ernst Mayer Envelope Factory in Heilbronn. They were sold to stationery retailers in southern Bavaria (northern Lower Bavaria and Swabia). Alban Kirsch, canteen lessee at the General Knoussl Barracks, was the only company in Augsburg to which these envelopes were delivered.
In general, the expert opinion about the paper used in the production of these leaflets is that it is a cheap, wood-pulp duplicating paper, without watermark, as is produced in numerous paper mills, especially during the war. Upon closer inspection it was possible to determine that 70 sheets of paper were of the same quality and origin and did have watermarks. This manufacturer’s mark or rather watermark consists of 2 raised ovals with a bear or something similar and a coat of arms, underneath the number 1798. There are 3 letters over the ovals, and they are “M” and possibly “S G” or something similar (see enclosed account copy, enclosure 5). It is fairly certain that the manufacturer of this paper is the paper mill Mattäus (not Matthias as stated in telex dated February 3, 1943) Salze [Note 1] Sons, Vienna IX/71, Alser Str. 24, established 1798. This company’s mill is located in Stattersdorf near St. Pölten (Lower Danube). In a telex dated February 3, 1943, I have asked the State Police Headquarters in Vienna to determine which German customers of the Balzer Company located in Vienna received the duplicating paper under consideration in the last few years.
Note 1: Last letter is possibly o, not e. After Salz, the remainder of the name is garbled in the margin.
Note 2: For purposes of this database, assume approximate purchase date for paper around January 10, after their January 9 meeting with Kurt Huber announcing the fifth leaflet, but before January 13 when they were printing it.
Source: ZC13267, Trenker’s memorandum dated 5 February 1943